[flashrom] Path syntax for Linux Flashrom?

David Hendricks dhendrix at google.com
Wed Jul 22 22:14:59 CEST 2015

(adding the list back)

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 1:00 PM, a webuser <awebuser at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>

> Thanks for the reply, but I have zero background in Linux, and what
> appears obvious to some is cryptic to others... ;)
>
> About the path declaration, I'm assuming it would be something like:
> "flashrom -r a:\biosbackup.rom" (does Linux use a backslash?)

Something like that, though Linux distributions usually do not use that
notation for paths.

> About installing Flashrom from Ubuntu, a slightly more verbose description
> would have helped in that case.  I'm assuming they are two distinct command
> prompt entries.
>
> It's basically the language that is odd with the use of "do" and "using",
> which implies that they are one command, when I'm guessing they are not.

Your distribution of choice (Ubuntu?) has the documentation for those
commands. Flashrom is just one of many programs which run on many
distributions and variety of operating systems, therefore it is not
practical to go that deep into details about the OS's package management.
That is something you'll need to learn on your own.

There's a non-zero chance that something will go horribly wrong when you
run flashrom and you'll need to do something to recover. I suggest that you
get comfortable with your tools and environment before doing something that
is potentially destructive.

--
David Hendricks (dhendrix)
Systems Software Engineer, Google Inc.