[flashrom] Release numbering and branches

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Aug 11 11:48:43 CEST 2016

Hi Nico,

On 10.08.2016 23:48, Nico Huber wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> now that we have a git repository [1] ready (thanks Stefan!), I've
> visited again the flashrom development guidelines [2]. I stumbled
> there over a very long, exemplary version number: "0.9.10.1". IMHO,
> two things are wrong here: 1st there are too many dots for my taste,
> and 2nd the former two numbers are meaningless.
>
> To avert that, I call for naming the next release "1.0". If necessary
> it would get point releases "1.0.1", "1.0.2" etc, of course.

IIRC the criterion for 1.0 is/was having a new and well-working layout
engine. So if we get that merged, the next version will indeed be 1.0.
For releases after 1.0 it does make sense to go for 1.1, 1.2 etc. unless
we get some other major feature merged and make it 2.0.

> Regarding the naming of release tags and branches, I really like what
> the Linux people do. In their naming scheme the tag for "1.0" would
> be named `v1.0` and the branch `flashrom-1.0.y`. With different pre-
> fixes for tags/branches it's always obvious what is referred to, and
> with a wildcard (here the `y`) in the branch name the ongoing develop-
> ment is emphasized.

You do have a point. I have no strong preference as long as the scheme
is not too weird.

> Opinions? other proposals?
>
> Nico
>
> [1] https://www.flashrom.org/git/flashrom.git/