[flashrom] Gigabyte M720-US3

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Jul 5 03:44:43 CEST 2011

On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 15:02:07 +0200
"Grim Reaper" <xj at wp.pl> wrote:

> OK no problem.
>
> BTW. I used flashrom from standard Ubuntu repository (in this case this was ubuntu-studio). Maybe package maintainer should update it. don't know who it is , maybe one of you ;-) ? Once again great work, update Bios from running system is much more flexible than standard solution. Why baseboard producers not support you ?

jup, we are aware of that.
there will be a newer version in 11.10, see
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=flashrom&searchon=all&suite=all&section=all
we don't have a dedicated ubuntu maintainer (yet), but rely on ubuntu
automatically pulling new versions from debian (which they do for every
ubuntu release). the debian maintainer is "one of us": uwe hermann

ad vendors... well there are some that use flashrom internally or even
redistribute it to their customers. feel free to mail gigabyte and ask
them why they do not, nor providing us necessary documentation to
support their boards :)

some vendors will probably state some security concerns. having an easy
way to install backdoors into the firmware of PCs is of course
frightening to them. they need to learn about security by obscurity
then...
but even if they do have some signature-based security in place (i.e.
firmwares are only used when they can be verified by a hardware-based
signature) - such as newer intel chipsets seem to at least partially
offer - there might be economic reasons why they would not like to
support us. for example because they don't think there are enough
non-windows customers to justify investing some money to help us.