[flashrom] Intel MBD question - ATT: Stefan Tauner

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Jun 21 18:30:40 CEST 2011

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 16:47:56 +0200
Ian Whitfield <whitfield at telkomsa.net> wrote:

> I have now downloaded 'flashrom-0.9.3.tar.bz2' and the GPG Sig File (as
> a text file). They are in my 'Downloads' Folder.
>
> Am I correct to say that I should now create a Folder called' /flashrom'
> move the two files into it, unpack the 'bz2' file and then run -

the bz2 file you have downloaded already contains a (year-old) snapshot
of the source of flashrom. you could extract that which would create a
directory named "flashrom" with the source files inside. (the gpg sig
file is to optionally verify that the archive is from us and i won't
explain that further.)

> svn co svn://coreboot.org/flashrom/trunk flashrom
this fetches the current developer version from our source repository
into a directory named flashrom. you don't need to do both
(downloading/extracting and fetchting the source via svn). the latter
will get you a newer version and is recommended.

> cd flashrom
enter the directory with the source code
> make
this compiles flashrom, resulting in a "flashrom" binary file in that
directory. you can then launch it with ./flashrom (the ./ is
important, see end of my mail).
you don't need to do make install. this just copies the binary file
into the system.
make will probably not succeed on your machine unless you install
various packages needed. most of them will be included in the linuxmint
package named 'build-essential'. others are listed on the downloads
page in the requirements section.

> I would then run the 'flashrom -V' again and sent the output to you?
./flashrom -V

if you don't add the ./ the system searches for the binary elsewhere
and will not recognize the newly built binary (most probably). it would
be best if you would uninstall the linuxmint package "flashrom". it
can't get in the way then (else you should always look at the version
displayed by flashrom at the beginning of each run).

if you are unsure about all this please don't do it and use the tools
from intel. i am happy to help you with problems related to _operating_
flashrom, but i won't explain the build process in more detail.