[flashrom] Error reading Winbond W25x16 on Intel DX48BT2

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Wed Feb 3 17:40:07 CET 2010

Hi Finnbarr,

On 03.02.2010 17:12, Finnbarr Murphy wrote:
> Here is a failure report against an Intel DX48BT2 motherboard which
> uses a ICH9R and a Winbond W25x16 containing the BIOS.
>
> Command I executed was:
>
> ./flashrom -c W25x16 -rV out.bin
>
> flashrom v0.9.1-r889
> No coreboot table found.
> DMI string 0: "                                "
> DMI string 1: "                                "
> DMI string 2: "                        "
> DMI string 3: "Intel Corporation"
> DMI string 4: "DX48BT2"
> DMI string 5: "AAE26191-205"

Ah, a mainboard manufactured by Intel.

> Found chipset "Intel ICH9R", enabling flash write...
> [...]
> 0x98: 0x2002009f (OPMENU)
> 0x9C: 0x00000000 (OPMENU+4)
> [...]

Heh. The BIOS vendor decided to allow writing to the chip (0x02),
erasing (0x20), and identification (0x9f). Reading (0x03) is not allowed.

> WARNING: SPI Configuration Lockdown activated.

And the lockdown means that flashrom can't do anything against it.

> Generating OPCODES... done
> SPI Read Configuration: prefetching enabled, caching enabled, FAILED!
> This chipset supports the following protocols: FWH,SPI.
> Calibrating delay loop... 805M loops per second, 100 myus = 199 us. OK.
> Probing for Winbond W25x16, 2048 KB: RDID returned 0xef 0x30 0x15. probe_spi_rdid_generic: id1 0xef, id2 0x3015
> Invalid OPCODE 0x05
> Chip status register is 0a
> Found chip "Winbond W25x16" (2048 KB, SPI) at physical address 0xffe00000.
> Reading flash... Invalid OPCODE 0x03
>

> Any idea what is going on?  According to the W25x16 documentation opcodes
> 0x03 and 0x05 are supported.

Yes, the problem is that Intel decided to disallow any read opcodes in
the chipset configuration. Sorry, but we can't do anything to circumvent
this except for messing with the flash descriptor in a rather dangerous way.
A BIOS/EFI update/downgrade might help.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
Developer quote of the year:
"We are juggling too many chainsaws and flaming arrows and tigers."