[flashrom] testing DELL Dimension 4100

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Dec 31 19:21:39 CET 2012

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 19:23:07 +0000 (GMT)
Bertho Grandpied <y31415926536 at yahoo.fr> wrote:

> --- On Sunday, Dec. 30, Stefan Tauner wrote :
> > if you find out something useful and/or generic i am happy
> > to integrate it...
>
> Still not a priority, but with the help of system scanning utilities (viz. Everest, Aida) I have uncovered tasty motherboard details which, I think, might be useful : this DELL has in fact an Intel "Easton" D815EEA mobo; quick web searches reveal pertinent chipset details,
>
> + Intel 82815 GMCH (i.e. the North bridge)
> + Intel 82801BA (the Southbridge and more),
> + I82802AB Firmware hub.
>
> If I am not mistaken, the latter - FWH - would be the responsible component for the flashing process.

It is not responsible... it IS the flash chip ;)
But according to this change notification it might not be true:
http://smartdata.usbid.com/datasheets/usbid/2000/2000-q3/d1014230.pdf

No idea which SST chip they used... but i guess both should be
supported by flashrom. No idea why it is not detected.

> Can this knowledge help make Flashrom access the BIOS ? At least in read mode, since we know it won't write without further enabling sauce - do we have the recipe for this 'Intel inside' rig ?

Someone with more knowledge about FWH than me has to look at it. It
would certainly help if we would know which flash chip is really inside
it...